My mother-in-law is much more of an order-out kind of hostess than a make-it-from-scratch kind of cook. She laughs at her own lack of kitchen prowess, but she doesn’t give herself enough credit for her gourmet menu selections or for this home-cooked recipe that is a crowd pleaser wherever I bring it. I give my amateur chef MIL all of the credit for this super-easy holiday favorite:
• 18-24 Sausage Links (We use frozen turkey sausage. It may make the professional cringe, but trust me—it works quite well!)
• 2 cans of whole berry cranberry sauce
• 2 boxes of Jiffy corn bread mix
(Feel free to add sauteed onions, bell peppers, or any other veggies, but it tastes great without if you want to keep it simple.)
• Cook the sausage according to package directions. Chop into bite-sized pieces and spread evenly along the bottom of a 7” x 11” glass baking dish
• Spread the cranberry sauce in a thick layer, on top of the sausage
• Prepare the cornbread mix according to package directions, using milk and eggs. Let set for 5 minutes. Spoon the mixture over top of the cranberry, covering the fruit as much as possible.
• Bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until the cornbread is fully cooked.
Spoon into a serving dish for a nice presentation.
I was a doubter when my husband first described this favorite holiday dish from his youth, but was won over after my first bite. The unexpected flavor combination is fantastic and a much-requested crowd pleaser at my Thanksgiving table and Christmas morning, every single year.
Thanks to Signe Whitson of the Passive Aggressive Diaries for this post. Her recipe is brought to you by My Baby Clothes Boutique, the place to shop for all your holiday baby needs – holiday baby clothes with matching baby headbands or baby hats.